• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Door Inspection

LGreene

There's currently a discussion on LinkedIn which I'm copying over to my blog (with permission from the posters), about the annual inspection requirements for fire doors. It's actually a broader question so I'm hoping to get some input from you all.

In a nutshell, our state building code (Massachusetts) references NFPA 80 2007, which requires fire doors to be inspected annually by someone knowledgeable about fire doors, with records kept for review by the code official. But our state Fire Safety Code doesn't reference NFPA 80.

If a building code is used for new buildings, renovations, etc., does the reference to an edition of NFPA 80 that includes annual inspections have any impact? It seems like the applicable edition of 80 would have to be referenced by a fire code in order to be enforced.

Here's a link to the discussion: http://idighardware.com/2010/11/fdai/

As always, I really appreciate your input!

1 most fire codes say they shall be maintained

2 most codes allow other codes / standards to be referenced , even though it has not been adopted

Now the problem is not sure how many ahj require a nfpa 80 inspection

Some are happy if they close and latch

@ @ @ @

Lori,

Is your MA state bldg. code similar to the IBC, ..in that "the most restrictive

shall apply" - - referring to your state bldg. code referencing NFPA 80 vs.

the fire code NOT referencing it?

Also, agree with cda, ...referencing the NFPA standard may be the real

problem / challenge. :eek:

@ @ @ @