• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Exit Hardware on Non-Fire-Rated Doors

LGreene

Because of the increased enforcement of annual inspections of fire door assemblies, I'm getting a lot of questions about fire doors. I'm attempting to answer them on my site as they come, but I'd love some input from y'all.

Today's question was whether it is ok to install fire exit hardware (panic hardware for fire doors) on doors that are not fire-rated. There's more background info here: http://idighardware.com/2017/04/qq-can-fire-exit-hardware-be-installed-on-a-non-fire-rated-door/.

If you are an AHJ, do you have any objections to the installation of fire exit hardware where it's not required?

Hi Lori
I, as a AHJ have no objections to a fire rated door in a non-rated wall.
There is nothing that prohibits it.
A nonrated wall can have any door that meets minimum standards. If you want to exceed those standards, bully, bully for you.

I would say all provisions of panic hardware still apply

As in no other locking device, even though the panic hardware is not required

Yes needs to be maintained

Agree, Above and beyond is always appreciated!! Most of the time it's a battle to get them to comply with the minimum.;)