• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire extinguisher travel distance

Personally and professionally I want them to get out safely but I can understand the desire for some to want to Man or Woman up and try to save their possessions....we just had a fatality last week trying to save his 100 + year old place...sad but totally understood.

Someone had to mention THAT fire extinguisher training system. It sounds Like Bull___! Don't waste your money. If you want to own a training system that gives you a false sense of the operation of a fire extinguisher inside of a building then go ahead. If you want to train people in the use of fire extinguishers, then set up a trash can fire inside of a small non-combustible building. Light the trash can on fire and see how it really works.

When they get done hacking up the powder, then you have really trained them about how a fire extinguisher works inside of a building.

Just to stir the pot a bit more, you should all know that the exception for QR, fully sprinklered buildings is being eliminated in the 2012 edition of the codes. I can't wait to see where they are going to mount the fire extinguisher in those large clear-span showrooms and exhibition halls. It'll be even more fun to watch them mount one on a pole in the middle of the ballroom and on the back of someone's seat at the arena.

Uncle Bob said:
Since the answer has been provided; I guess this is ok. When I first saw the topic;"Fire extinguisher travel distance"

My first thought was that fire extingueshers should not be allowed to travel; it make them hard to find.

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob....are you suggesting that fire extinguishers migrate?

steveray said:
Uncle Bob....are you suggesting that fire extinguishers migrate?
They could be carried...we are talking about portable fire extinguishers.

steveray said:
What? A 100 pound secretary carrying a 30 pound extinguisher? I knew I could count on you Brudgers!
It's not a question of weight, it's a question of training.

everyone wants to be a hero.. rather have a dead hero who didn't know what needed to be done, or a live person on the street fretting about their files?

Or a dead hero over whose crispy remains the professional fire fighters need to navigate to get to survivors?

Don't encourage non trained personnel to stay in the building.. the intentions are good.. the results probably not so good.

If I used my little fire extinguisher every time I cook, I'd have no active fire protection in the house.. .there's a reason I don't entertain.

As an architect, for years we have done the travel distance by using a radius such as 75 feet. However I don't think the code is clear if the travel distance is in the path of travel or the radius. How do you fire experts interpret.

right!

Around any obstructions and around any corners. The idea is to place it so that it is within a certain "time" to reach it. That has to be measured as you would travel to get the extinguisher.

Ah shucks! It's noce to feel welcome and missed.

Between the busy work schedule and the doctor appointments I barely have time to take a . . . well I barely have any time. ;)