• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

fire hydrant lock

Re: fire hydrant lock

Inspector 102

I do not think so

I was just out for a sunday drive out in kind of the middle of no where and saw this.

There were about four other hydrants that had the same lock on them.

ask and you shall receive

thanks

oh no where did I put the key?????????????

If your home is on fire and you want it totaled; run down to the fire hydrant and drive a match stick into the lock; so the fire department can't unlock it. :twisted:

Anonymous

touted as a homeland security feature
:lol: It's so I don't use it anymore to fill my swimming pool and the water department can't collect their fee and so the little children can't play in the water from the hydrants anymore. It's the new green initiative to save our water resources :shock:

Where was this when they built the school? :shock:

Does bring up the question who determines the use of fire hydrant locator poles in areas that get heavy snow? Not sure the correct name, FM Burns will know! :D

""""""""""Does bring up the question who determines the use of fire hydrant locator poles in areas that get heavy snow? Not sure the correct name """"""""""""

those are called "Whip Antennas"" off all the old hippie vans

Ahhh yes I remember hippies, thier now designing apps for apple arn't they? ;)

There would not be any grants from DHS if they were installed only to keep you from filling your swimming pool.

Knox now has locking 2 1/2 caps for hydrants. This is the most common place for water to be stolen. A water company in the area made a device to lock all the caps on the fire hydrant at a fire station to prevent the FD from using it to fill pumper. duh. Used the hydrant down the street.

A water company in the area made a device to lock all the caps on the fire hydrant at a fire station to prevent the FD from using it to fill pumper. duh
It is not the fire departments water ;)

The Public Works department has been teasing the FD about putting water meters on the pumper trucks so they can bill for the amount of water used in a fire. Now that budgets are getting tight it just might happen. ;)

I am not sure what community this is in but here in Texas we have several small public water systems. The Texas Commission of Environmental Quality requires "flush valves" to be installed. Every one I have seen is a fire hydrant yet they call them flush valves. The problem that we sometime face is the public water system may not have any main lines larger than 2" or 4" which will not support a fire hydrant but meets TCEQ's standards. So a fire truck goes to hook up to the hydrant and pooie, there's not enough pressure but they all get a rate reduction on their home owner's insurance for having a "hydrant" close by. Maybe the locks are to indicate that the hydrants are not intended to serve that function? More the likely as others mentioned, its probably to keep people from filling their swimming pools :D Not a good idea though to lock a hydrant if it is to serve as a hydrant.

Mango

Coug Dad said:
It also looks like it has been "necklaced" by a Columbian drug lord.http://hydrantlock.com/

being touted as a homeland security feature to prevent tampering of the water supply through a fire hydrant
Because there's no way to remove a padlock when you don't have the key and have no one watching you and an Ace Hardware up the street.

I feel so much safer.

There would not be any grants from DHS if they were installed only to keep you from filling your swimming pool.
Find it extremely funny that DHS would offer grants for this seeing how the water system is in real jeopardy from the hydrant being turned on..........that’s all.

MT,

We have to pay a $125.000 annual “rental fee” from the FD budget and we still have to shovel them when they don’t get the hippy whip antenna locator poles Cda and PC mentioned. :cry: