• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Hydrant

skipharper

11,000 sq ft use group A-3, not sprinkled and our jurisdiction has never adopted the ICC Fire Code. How can I require a fire hydrant near the structure? County water is provided on the site but those reg's do not address this. Merry Christmas too all!!!

Without seeing any direct pathway at this time; the only alternative I can recommend at this time would be to see if there are any zoning regulations that may assist or having the fire authority check into the building's insurance carrier to pose the question "what if". I'll keep looking!

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a fire hydrant near this bldg.?

The A-3 designation & square footage doesn't require sprinkling (RE: 2006

IBC). Just asking..

skipharper said:
11,000 sq ft use group A-3, not sprinkled and our jurisdiction has never adopted the ICC Fire Code. How can I require a fire hydrant near the structure? County water is provided on the site but those reg's do not address this. Merry Christmas too all!!!
What fire code do you have?

I really do not know Globe--its what we do! This is a temporary gym which I am reviewing as A-4 instead of E because it is replacement gym for our high school, but not on the same property as the high school. I was asked if they could install a fire hydrant to flush the end of the line so I pulled the site plan which showed water mains and immediately started beating myself up for missing something so obvious (or so I thought). The building will be under the threshold for requiring sprinklers and I think I am looking at the picture so hard I am missing the picture!! We use the 09 ICodes but have not adopted the fire code and I have found nothing in the IBC to get to me to the IFC to then use. You can always rely on this message board for good sound, non smartass, answers and admire that. Thanks for your input Mr. Burns and Merry Christmas to all!!

check with your water department/public works and see if they have a requirement for hydrants at the end of water mains, I know the town I used to work for required them

Happy Holidays!

3311.4 Water supply.

Water supply for fire protection, either temporary or permanent, shall be made available as soon as combustible material accumulates.

I know it is a stretch but it is what we have used in lieu of the fire code to hold up building permits in developing subdivisions until the fire hydrants are installed.

So if you build a new housing area

Where does the requirement , spacing etc come to require fire hydrants in a sub division??

Like most of rural Virginia they may have to pump water from the local watering hole...(I.E. the cow pond next door.) I am surprised that public water is available. I remember Louisa as having mostly wells. Glad to see some rebuilding for the kids though after the big earthquake. Good luck.

Skip based on your avatar you could always "Wait until next year" but a resident of a town that has NO Water supply at the planning stage for commercial development we ust the NFPA 1142: Standard on Water Supplies for Suburban and Rural Fire Fighting which is ADOPTED into our municipal code and enforced by our Engineering Board that represents 3 loacal volunteer companies. The key ther is "ADOPTED" and "required to be reviewed and enforced by" on all land development projects. It relies upon the calculation and location of Ponds, dry hydrants and those methods referenced in 1142. A Municipal water supply without proper volume and delivery is of little use and could be as effective as locating a hydrant in front of a building that had no supply. Conversly when wer constructed a new Regional middle school well base water supply we included a sprinkler system by chioce (then less tah 20000 sf fire areas) as asset protection and developed substantial water storage underground to provide the supply via fire pump and emergency power. You can require a Hydrant IF you are provided with the athourity to do so. Not because you wnat to or believe it to be a good idea.