• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Protection Reduction

John N. Crittenden

Doe anyone know offhand if the reduction of fire protection rating for R construction based on sprinklers applies even if the sprinklers are also used to allow areas increase for VN Construction. i.e., from 1-hour to 30 min.
I am concerned about the room to room separation for R construction.

John,

Assuming IBC (not IRC) and 5B for VN, a reduction is permitted with an NFPA 13 (not 13R)

708.3 Fire-resistance rating. Fire partitions shall have a fire resistance rating of not less than 1 hour.

Exceptions:

1. Corridor walls permitted to have a 1/2 hour fire-resistance rating by Table 1018.1.

2. Dwelling unit and sleeping unit separations in buildings of Type IIB, IIIB and VB construction shall have fire-resistance ratings of not less than 1/2 hour in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. (NFPA 13)

711.3 Fire-resistance rating.

Exception:
Dwelling unit and sleeping unit separations in buildings of Type IIB, IIIB and VB construction shall have fire-resistance ratings of not less than 1/2 hour in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.

Reactions: JBI
Doe anyone know offhand if the reduction of fire protection rating for R construction based on sprinklers applies even if the sprinklers are also used to allow areas increase for VN Construction. i.e., from 1-hour to 30 min.
I am concerned about the room to room separation for R construction.

What kind of building

House apartment townhouse other??

I'm leaning the same way Francis is. Sounds like a hotel/motel question as the OP indicates 'room to room'.
And I agree with Francis's assessment as well.
The other key to the question was the area increase aspect, only a full NFPA 13 system provides increased area. A 13R would only allow the height increase.

The sections I quoted above are from the 2012 edition. The table 503 is easier to read in the 2015 IBC. T504.4 for stories and T506.2 for areas are self explanatory with the footnotes.

Reactions: JBI