• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire rated coil door with no egress door

retire09

Silver Member
I have an auto repair garage with an oil storage room 7' x 35' for staorage of 55gal drums of oil.

The wall opening is a 3 hour rated wall and is protected by a 3 hour rated coil door.

Is it necesary to have a means of egress from that small space to prevent someone from being trapped in the room if the door drops?

what occupancy type are you calling the room??

what edition code are you looking at?

NO,

pick an exception any exception::: maybe number 1?

1008.1.2 Door swing.

Egress doors shall be of the pivoted or side-hinged swinging type.

Exceptions:

1. Private garages, office areas, factory and storage areas with an occupant load of 10 or less.

2. Group I-3 occupancies used as a place of detention.

3. Critical or intensive care patient rooms within suites of health care facilities.

4. Doors within or serving a single dwelling unit in Groups R-2 and R-3.

5. In other than Group H occupancies, revolving doors complying with Section 1008.1.4.1.

6. In other than Group H occupancies, horizontal sliding doors complying with Section 1008.1.4.3 are permitted in a means of egress.

7. Power-operated doors in accordance with Section 1008.1.4.2.

8. Doors serving a bathroom within an individual sleeping unit in Group R-1.

9. In other than Group H occupancies, manually operated horizontal sliding doors are permitted in a means of egress from spaces with an occupant load of 10 or less.

Doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel where serving a room or area containing an occupant load of 50 or more persons or a Group H occupancy.

I would say yes;

1001.1 General. Buildings or portions thereof shall be provided

with a means of egress system as required by this chapter.

The provisions of this chapter shall control the design,

construction and arrangement of means of egress components

required to provide an approved means of egress from structures

and portions thereof.

1008.1.2 Door swing. Egress doors shall be of the pivoted

or side-hinged swinging type.

EDIT: cda beat me to the post.........

OK, #1 slipped by me.........really? I've had to rewind these doors, when they go down, they are down. You would be trapped, you are not getting past that door on your own.

The exception is with regard to door swing only. The exception does not mean that no means of egress is required from the room.

However, there may be an opportunity for a timed-egress analysis to show that an occupant could self-evacuate from the storage room upon becoming aware of a developing fire prior to the time that the door would automatically close.