• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

fire rated doors flush bolts top and bottom?

Vlab20

Bronze Member
1 hour rated pair of doors with panic hardware. Are the flush bolts required to be BOTH top and bottom? Can we provide top bolt only?
We are in a healthcare setting and are trying to avoid a receiver in the floor that can be a collector of dirt/dust.
Thank you in advance for anyone's thoughts.

I don't know of any fire doors that are listed for just a top bolt, but there are flush bolt sets available that incorporate a top bolt and an auxiliary fire pin. The pin mounts in the edge of one door leaf, with a hole and plastic cap in the edge of the other leaf. During a fire, the pin projects to hold the door leaves aligned and maintain the compartmentalization. Under normal operation, there will just be a top bolt engaging into the head so I think this would meet your needs.

You can see them in this PDF: http://us.allegion.com/IRSTDocs/Cat...t=005313_IVES_FullLine_030314.indd:FluBolts:4, pages 82-85 (C2-C6).

Reactions: cda
Thanks Lori!...I will have to look at this as I have an assisted living project going on that has firewalls, fire partitions, and smoke barriers. Some of which I assume are on panic hardware. Most of them we see only have the "up" rod, but most of them aren't required to be rated. Is it the listing of the particular door or NFPA 80 (in general)that requires Top and Bottom?