• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire rated entry door: 1-2 Family Residential (existing)

JimmyTreeX

I am a code inspector in upstate New York and I’ve been trying to get a definitive answer on entry doors in a 1 and/or 2 family needing to be fire rated (20 min)? When I started 14 years ago I was trained by my supervisor to enforce that. At this point in my career I like to make sure everything cited can be backed up by the code (I have obviously always made sure of this, but now that I train people, I like to have the exact language and reference on hand). All I can find is reference to the door between the garage and house.

Just hoping to get some guidance. Thank You

2018 IRC
I am a code inspector in upstate New York and I’ve been trying to get a definitive answer on entry doors in a 1 and/or 2 family needing to be fire rated (20 min)? When I started 14 years ago I was trained by my supervisor to enforce that. At this point in my career I like to make sure everything cited can be backed up by the code (I have obviously always made sure of this, but now that I train people, I like to have the exact language and reference on hand). All I can find is reference to the door between the garage and house.

R302.5 Dwelling-Garage Opening and Penetration Protection

Openings and penetrations through the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be in accordance with Sections R302.5.1 through R302.5.3.

R302.5.1 Opening Protection

Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire rated doors.

If talking single family house

And front entry d

Unless your code was changed, whenever

Not required

AND. Welcome,,, keep coming back

If talking single family house

And front entry d

Unless your code was changed, whenever

Not required

AND. Welcome,,, keep coming back
Thank you! And it’s what I expected. I’ve learned over the years that my supervisor enforced things without the code to back it, this being one of them. If people knew enough to refer to the books, he would have been called out for it long ago.

and thank you! Very happy I found this forum, I love to learn, and I always have questions hah… Thanks again