• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Rating Question

Philarchitect

Hello,
Our office is constructing an addition above an existing 7-story structure. The existing structure was originally constructed out of module steel boxes with light gauge cold-rolled steel floor, ceiling & wall infill framing. The new floor will be posted up above the existing roof framing. The final assembly will be a combination of new floor & old roof framing.
My question pertains to the proper fire-rated assembly. I have created a detail which should make this a bit more clear. Use the link below to access the detail. Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

Hello,
Our office is constructing an addition above an existing 7-story structure. The existing structure was originally constructed out of module steel boxes with light gauge cold-rolled steel floor, ceiling & wall infill framing. The new floor will be posted up above the existing roof framing. The final assembly will be a combination of new floor & old roof framing.
My question pertains to the proper fire-rated assembly. I have created a detail which should make this a bit more clear. Use the link below to access the detail. Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

Update: I forgot to mention that I am looking for a 1-hour fire rating

How are the existing floors fire protected?

Gypsum Association FC-4490 provides 1-hour fire rating. The double layer of 5/8" type X gypsum board provides 1 hour protection for the framing.

How are the existing floors fire protected?

Gypsum Association FC-4490 provides 1-hour fire rating. The double layer of 5/8" type X gypsum board provides 1 hour protection for the framing.
Thank, but unfortunately that assembly contains a plywood subfloor which would not be permitted in the Type-II, non-combustible construction.