• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

eyan50495

Hi

I have a Supermarket, Mercantile - Type VB building in New York State (Nassau County). They have asked for us to locate a Cardboard Baler in the basement. I have dealt with Trash Compactors/Chutes but not a baler.

1) Would you recommend enclosing this baler in a rated room (walls, ceilings)?

2) If they plan on storing cardboard bales in here or another room would that require a rating?

Welcome to the forum. If you find your answers here, please consider joining as a Sawhorse.

In my humble opinion, I would push to classify the baler room and/or cardboard storage room as an incidental use per NY Amended Table 509 (below). The cardboard is a filtered (limited material) waste stream of combustible nature.

upload_2020-5-18_9-48-38.png
upload_2020-5-18_9-48-6.png

All I can say is, it depends. It depends on the area of the building, the areas of each occupant group by floor, height of the building in stories, and the sprinkler situation of the building.

Welcome to the forum. If you find your answers here, please consider joining as a Sawhorse.

In my humble opinion, I would push to classify the baler room and/or cardboard storage room as an incidental use per NY Amended Table 509 (below). The cardboard is a filtered (limited material) waste stream of combustible nature.

View attachment 6657
View attachment 6656
Thank you! I will certainly consider joining as a sawhorse!

All I can say is, it depends. It depends on the area of the building, the areas of each occupant group by floor, height of the building in stories, and the sprinkler situation of the building.
Thank you. Yes the building is a 1 story (plus basement) building at a 10,000 sf floor plate. The basement will have 27 occupants where this is located. We figure we will at a minimum put a 1 hour rated wall/ceiling room.

Hi

I have a Supermarket, Mercantile - Type VB building in New York State (Nassau County). They have asked for us to locate a Cardboard Baler in the basement. I have dealt with Trash Compactors/Chutes but not a baler.

1) Would you recommend enclosing this baler in a rated room (walls, ceilings)?

2) If they plan on storing cardboard bales in here or another room would that require a rating?

My answer, no rating

Does the building have a fire sprinkler system??????

My answer, no rating

Does the building have a fire sprinkler system??????
Yep - fully sprinklered. Based on Table 509, it would seem that it could be considered a waste room however it will be in an open basement with similar stocked goods from retail.

We'll see if the fire marshall wants dedicated heads or alarms in that area.

Yep - fully sprinklered. Based on Table 509, it would seem that it could be considered a waste room however it will be in an open basement with similar stocked goods from retail.

We'll see if the fire marshall wants dedicated heads or alarms in that area.

I would ask for the fire sprinkler system design, to be evaluated for the hazard, and changed if needed