• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire resistive construction of a unenclosed monumental stair

fw.

Bronze Member
Type I-B Construction. Table 601 requires that all building elements (except interior nonbearing partitions) have some level of fire-resistive construction.

Given an unenclosed monumental stair meeting all the requirements to be allow it to be unenclosed. Does the stair supporting elements (stringers, treads, etc.) need to be of fire resistive construction?

Been awhile since I posted, been lurking. Thanks!

No, but I have attended a few Gopher/Viking games under the dome, and as a College and Pro fan, have a good deal of respect for all things Minni-sodan, especially the great Schell brewery.

Technically I am Québécoise (or as the say in here, a Quebecer) living in exhile in 'sker country.

Not fire resitive but non combustable 2009 IBC 1009.6 Stairway construction. All stairways shall be built of materials consistent with the types permitted for the type of construction of the building, except that wood handrails shall be permitted for all types of construction.

Then SECTION 603 COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL IN TYPE I AND II CONSTRUCTION 603.1 Allowable materials. Combustible materials shall be permitted in buildings of Type I or II construction in the following applications and in accordance with Sections 603.1.1 through 603.1.3: the list 25 allowance and exception non of which are stair stringers, guards or supports

I agree with the Commish's clarification. The OP asked if fire resistive rated construction is required. The answer is no. Non combustible construction would be required though.

From a logical perspective you do not want the exit path catching fire but if it got hot enough that fire resistive rated construction made a difference you couldn't use it as a building exit.