• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Resistive corridor

Inspector 102

Silver Member
I am confused regarding a fire resistive corridor in an E occupancy. Current code IBC 2012 Edition. Table 1018.1 requires 1-hour fire resistive construction, put does not specifically list opening protection. Table 716.5 indicates 20-minute doors for corridor wall. Section 716.5.9 indicates that fire doors shall be self-closing. Are the doors in fire resistive construction actually fire doors or just 20-minute label doors that could be left opened during normal occupancy.

Since you are reading Table 1018.1 to require a 1-hour rating, I assume that the corridor serves an occupant load of more than 30 and that the building is not sprinklered. Does each classroom have an exit door directly to the exterior? If so, the building would meet Exception #1 and no rating would be required.

If it doesn't meet the exception, then the corridor walla are fire partitions (not fire barriers), and must comply with section 708. Section 708.6 sends us to section 716 for openings.

Section 716.5.3 tells us that the opening protectives in corridor walls are fire doors, and must have a fire protection rating of at least 20 minutes where located in corridors or smoke barrier walls in accordance with Table 716.5.

Looking at Table 716.5, I have to scroll down almost to the bottom to find Fire partitions: Corridor walls. For corridor walls rated 1 hour, the minimum fire door rating is 1/3 hour [20 minutes]. There's a footnote. but that just refers to section 716.6.3 for testing requirements.

Fire doors must be self-closing and self-latching. If you want them to remain open, they'll have to be on magnetic hold-opens that release upon activation of a fire alarm or smoke detector.

This is slightly adjacent to the original post. If an E occupancy is fully sprinklered, does it need to be 1-hour rated, regardless of Exception 1? I am reading it that if you meet the exception, you don't have to be rated, otherwise, it's 1-hour rated. However, if you have fully sprinklered, it doesn't matter as the requirement is 0.

Thanks

However, if you have fully sprinklered, it doesn't matter as the requirement is 0.

Correct 0 rating if fully sprinkled using quick response or residential sprinkler heads.

FYI
If it is an older existing school constructed prior to the requirement for specific heads to use in light hazard occupancies, then the fire rating and opening protection must remain as constructed.
You could update and replace all the heads to meet today's requirement if your goal is to remove the one-hour corridor rating and opening protection requirement.