• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire retardant treated wood

2009 IBC 2304.9.5 Commentary: Corrosion resistant fasteners are typically required for use in treated wood. This applies to fire-retardant-treated wood as well as preservative-treated-wood.

2304.9.5.3 specifically calls for hot-dipped galv., stainless, silicon bronze or copper in exterior locations, and 2304.9.5.4 says fasteners in interior locations are to follow manuf. recommendations.

May or may not apply to you though, since I know nothing about Cali.-specific codes or whether you're on the '09 IBC or not.

Just over a hundred sheets. The back side hasn't been nailed yet. Now the question is, are 10d hot dipped gun nails available.

I found galvanized 8d gun nails years ago for my house, I'm sure the 10d's would be available. Ugly re-nailing.......

This thread really shows the value of this forum. When I brought up the hot dipped nail question, the contractor said he would send an RFI to the engineer. I thought cool, I'll ask the forum. Within an hour I had a code section on my phone.

10d hd are available, but 16d's are more readily available and cheaper. I would probably just hit it with 16's if on a budget.

Otherwise, the correct fastener is stainless for sure. But it would be $900 instead of $80.

Brent.

"10d hd are available, but 16d's are more readily available and cheaper. I would probably just hit it with 16's if on a budget.

Otherwise, the correct fastener is stainless for sure. But it would be $900 instead of $80."

In general you do not want to use larger size nails since the use of the larger nails may promote splitting of lumber. Manufacturers of laminated timbers often specify maximum nail sizes and spacings. Longer nails can also cause problems with the nails showing through on the other side which at times is a problem.

10d is 3"

16 is 3 1/4"

That would not bother me.

Now if we are going .162 over .148, well...

I've been doing 20d on edges 4 oc.

They found the nails. The application is a facade on the front and giant crickets on the back. Their engineer specified the nails.

2-1/4” X.148

10D

Hot-Dip Galvanized Smooth Shank

Plywood Gun Nail

214PLYHGGNQB