• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire retardant wood and 1A construction

agb4

Open aired outdoor cafe is attached to a 10 story hotel 1A construction. Proposed design is treated wood frame with a fabric canopy. Would this be allowed under any conditions in Section 603?

Re: Fire retardant wood and 1A construction

Yes, I will have to make that a requirement. The cafe is on the ground floor facing the boardwalk with a 36 inch railing around the perimeter. I find a lot of information to treat it both ways but I believe this can comply or essentially meet the intent of 603 and also 1406.3.

Is the wood framing at least 20 feet above the floor? Or, if you classify the construction as I-B the framing would only need to be heavy timber dimensional.

If covering meets NFPA 701, allow it as a canopy under 3105, 2006 IBC.