• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire/Sound/Isolation requirements

Gixxer5

Hello, I am new here so please bare with me. I live in an apartment that is located on the second floor and below me is a storeroom for the apartments. The store room has no ceiling, probably 20ft from the floor to my floor and nothing in between. Are there specific codes that are required between floors since the landlord decided to start using it as a work shop the noise is unbearable and the different smells coming through the floor etc... I can hear every word said clear as day.
Thanks

Yes residential areas must be separated for fire and sound from other uses.

Hello, I am new here so please bare with me. I live in an apartment that is located on the second floor and below me is a storeroom for the apartments. The store room has no ceiling, probably 20ft from the floor to my floor and nothing in between. Are there specific codes that are required between floors since the landlord decided to start using it as a work shop the noise is unbearable and the different smells coming through the floor etc... I can hear every word said clear as day.
Thanks
Based on your profile
Contact the Sacramento Building Division staff for building related questions: (916) 808-5318