• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire suppression required for I-4 Daycare (corridor requirement)

Fast_Edd1e

I am working on a change of use building that defers alot of the requirements back to the IBC. (Michigan building code)

When it comes to I-4 for daycare facilitys, the code states. Section 903.2.6 for Group I exception 2. Sprinkler not required in Group I-4 where each care area is provided with one exterior exit door. Which this facility will have.

However, when it comes to corridor fire rating. The chart on 1020.1 says its Not Permitted without sprinkler system.

Does this chart take into effect the use of the exception 2 for fire suppression requirements? Since the corridor is not a required means of egress with the exit doors? Or does the corridor push it to be required?

Thanks

Michigan uses the 2015 IBC, which did not permit Group I-4 in Table 1020.1 to be without a sprinkler. This was corrected in the 2018 IBC for that very reason: Section 903.2.6 and Table 1020.1 do not correlate.

I suggest requesting a code modification to use the 2018 correction and all subsequent code editions as the basis to allow corridors with a 1-hour fire-resistance rating.

Are you sure it is an I-4? Do you have more than 100 children under 2.5 years old?

2018 IBC

308.5.1 Classification as Group E.
A child day care facility that provides care for more than five but not more than 100 children 2 1/2 years or less of age, where the rooms in which the children are cared for are located on a level of exit discharge serving such rooms and each of these child care rooms has an exit door directly to the exterior, shall be classified as Group E.

305.2 Group E, day care facilities.
This group includes buildings and structures or portions thereof occupied by more than five children older than 2 1/2 years of age who receive educational, supervision or personal care services for fewer than 24 hours per day.