• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Supression for membrane structures

Joker

Bronze Member
A developer has submitted plans for a 150x300 soccer field for "50 occupants". (Don't laugh)

IBC 2012 section 903.2.1.3 (1) calls for it to be fire suppressed. Of course the manufacturer says they've built

Them all over the universe and no one has required it, there's no way you can install a sprinkler system in this structure, The material won't burn, yada yada. Even though I've never seen a sprinkler system in the few structures I've been in, I'm requiring they plead their case before the board of appeals. If you've had these structures built in your area without fire suppression(when required) how was it approved?

Steel structure support of the entire facility??

Did you happen to set an occupant load??

Bleachers being shown???

How is the soccer field used as an [F] 903.2.1.3 Group A-3 not an A-4 or A-5?

303.4 Assembly Group A-3. Assembly uses intended for

worship, recreation or amusement and other assembly uses

not classified elsewhere in Group A including, but not limited

to:

303.5 Assembly Group A-4. Assembly uses intended for

viewing of indoor sporting events and activities with spectator

seating including, but not limited to:

303.6 Assembly Group A-5. Assembly uses intended for

participation in or viewing outdoor activities including, but

not limited to:

I thought there was an "over the sports floor" for sprinklers exception somewhere......maybe that was just unlimited area buildings.....

steveray said:
I thought there was an "over the sports floor" for sprinklers exception somewhere......maybe that was just unlimited area buildings.....
2003 and 2006 not in the 2009 or later

903.2.1.4 Group A-4.

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for Group A-4 occupancies where one of the following conditions exists:

1. The fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2);

2. The fire area has an occupant load of 300 or more; or

3. The fire area is located on a floor other than the level of exit discharge.

Exception: Areas used exclusively as participant sports areas where the main floor area is located at the same level as the level of exit discharge of the main entrance and exit.

cda said:
Steel structure support of the entire facility??Did you happen to set an occupant load??

Bleachers being shown???
There's no steel structure. It's like a air blown golf dome and It's supported by cables sewn into the dome fabric . No bleachers.

Occupant load will a minimum of 5000.

cda said:
2003 and 2006 not in the 2009 or later903.2.1.4 Group A-4.

An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for Group A-4 occupancies where one of the following conditions exists:

1. The fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2);

2. The fire area has an occupant load of 300 or more; or

3. The fire area is located on a floor other than the level of exit discharge.

Exception: Areas used exclusively as participant sports areas where the main floor area is located at the same level as the level of exit discharge of the main entrance and exit.
Well that should be the end of those then....

According to the developer it's Only practice. If it was a4 it would still require sprinklers.

Joker said:
There's no steel structure. It's like a air blown golf dome and It's supported by cables sewn into the dome fabric . No bleachers. Occupant load will a minimum of 5000.
There might be a steel structure.....

3102.8.3 Support provisions. A system capable of supporting the membrane in the event of deflation shall be provided for in air-supported and air-inflated structures having an occupant load of 50 or more or where covering a swimming pool regardless of occupant load. The support system shall be capable of maintaining membrane structures used as a roof for Type I construction not less than 20 feet (6096 mm) above floor or seating areas. The support system shall be capable of maintaining other membranes at least 7 feet (2134 mm) above the floor, seating area or surface of the water.

They have their own ASCE standard, make sure you can accept it (legally)as they cannot meet my snow load 30psf and they do all fall down at some point....

Agreed. I can't deny them their recourse though. Hopefully they would be able to provide some sort of alternative.

Francis Vineyard said:
How is the soccer field used as an [F] 903.2.1.3 Group A-3 not an A-4 or A-5?303.4 Assembly Group A-3. Assembly uses intended for

worship, recreation or amusement and other assembly uses

not classified elsewhere in Group A including, but not limited

to:

303.5 Assembly Group A-4. Assembly uses intended for

viewing of indoor sporting events and activities with spectator

seating including, but not limited to:

303.6 Assembly Group A-5. Assembly uses intended for

participation in or viewing outdoor activities including, but

not limited to:
According to the developer it's Only practice. If it was a4 it would still require sprinklers.

cda said:
Board of appeals is not suppose to wavie code requirements
Agreed. I can't deny them their recourse though. Hopefully they would be able to provide some sort of alternative.

steveray said:
There might be a steel structure.....3102.8.3 Support provisions. A system capable of supporting the membrane in the event of deflation shall be provided for in air-supported and air-inflated structures having an occupant load of 50 or more or where covering a swimming pool regardless of occupant load. The support system shall be capable of maintaining membrane structures used as a roof for Type I construction not less than 20 feet (6096 mm) above floor or seating areas. The support system shall be capable of maintaining other membranes at least 7 feet (2134 mm) above the floor, seating area or surface of the water.
I'll have my reviewers take another look at it and advise. THANKS!.

I take this to be a permanant structure over 180 days??

Have you tried to read thru 3102 IBC 2009??? To see if it meets those requirements?

Using the fire code ask for third party review of the entire project on the owner's dime. By a fire protecion engineer

cda said:
I take this to be a permanant structure over 180 days??Have you tried to read thru 3102 IBC 2009??? To see if it meets those requirements?
It's Over 180 days. Ill check the 09 code.