• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Firefighter in grave condition after ceiling collapse in Hollywood Hills

Brudgers said:
Heck you should just ban combustible construction
Just fireproof everything for say 2 hours, get rid of the so-called modern building products that are so prone to failure, I used trusses and those from the 50s are still doing fine, when gang-nail plates came out in the 60s I started using them until I realized that there were problems, by 2000 I was going back and rebuilding sagging roofs where the gang-nail plates were coming out without an fire. And get rid of the stupid plastic pipe, it ot only melts it breaks. In 1968 I was remodeling the San Leandro Building Department in their old city hall, the CBO was personally handling my work, he introduced me to one of his men telling me that he was going to Hawaii for a week and his man would be handling my work in his absence, I joked with him about city employees making so much money that they could afford to go to Hawaii, he told me that he wasn't paying for it, the plastic pipe industry was paying for it, he would gladly go and take their money, but it would be a cold day in Hell before we ever saw that crap in his town. Here it is 42 years later and San Leandro still doesn't' allow plastic pipe.

[note: use of plastic piping for drain/waste/vent lines is prohibited]¹
Where are these old time inspectors who protected their towns from crappy building products? ¹ http://www.sanleandro.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=3561