• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Firehouse AFCI

steveray

SAWHORSE
Wrapping my brain around a firehouse as an (R2) dwelling unit/ sleeping unit/ dormitory (and the NFPA/ICC differences) and wondering where to cut off the AFCI requirements per 210.12A or B.....?

Designer called it R2 and I am OK with that...The sleeping is in the new addition, but may have existed in the previous building. Does not fit dorm per NEC so just trying to delineate what is the NEC "dwelling unit" in a mixed use R building as per this section...

Designer called it R2 and I am OK with that...The sleeping is in the new addition, but may have existed in the previous building. Does not fit dorm per NEC so just trying to delineate what is the NEC "dwelling unit" in a mixed use R building as per this section...
Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.
Sounds like the living portion of the station

AFCI protection is required on all branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit.
Sounds like the living portion of the station

Looks like it will end up the day room and kitchen and sleeping room and closets and hallways all get AFCI....With a goodly smattering of TR receptacles too....