• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fireplace in showroom

Kendra

I am working on a tile and stone showroom and they want to put a fireplace in to display their work. If we did a gas fireplace that could remain cool to the touch, would this be a code issue? Something about open flames makes me think, yes, but I can't think of specifics with regard to commercial space and fireplaces?

They also want to have a tile wall with 12' tall displays and sliding ladders that traverse the whole wall to get the tile down. Is this an OSHA issue?

If the fireplace is installed per the building code, then I see no problem with having an operating fireplace within the showroom. On the other hand, their insurance company may a lot say about this, especially regarding risk to customers.

As for ladders, I see them all the time in stores like Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm sure there are some OSHA regulations regarding this, but, like the operating fireplace in the showroom, the insurance company may have something to say about the risk to customers.

If the fireplace is installed per the building code, then I see no problem with having an operating fireplace within the showroom. On the other hand, their insurance company may a lot say about this, especially regarding risk to customers.

As for ladders, I see them all the time in stores like Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm sure there are some OSHA regulations regarding this, but, like the operating fireplace in the showroom, the insurance company may have something to say about the risk to customers.
Thanks so much!

We saw one installed in an RV showroom and the only change was the inclusion of a carbon monoxide alarm.

You might want to put guards on the ladders so that impatient customers won't climb them instead of waiting for an employee to get a tile sample.