• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fireplace shutoff valve

Span

All types of gas fireplace have a flexible gas connector with a shutoff valve, than connect to gas line under firebox. I remenber

2000 UPC & UMC require a shutoff valve outside the hearth or under in an accessible & protected location, when such appliance may be removed without removal of the valve. Lately, when I asked contractors to add a shutoff valve outside of fireplace. They all answer back to me flexible connector valve is located under firebox and no requirement for another valve outside the fireplace.

Am I missing something or Code changed lately?

You got it right - its a long standing requirement still in effect today.

NYS Res Code G2420.5 (409.5) Equipment shutoff valve. Each appliance shall be provided with a shutoff valve separate from the appliance. The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the appliance, not further than 6 feet (1829 mm) from the appliance, and shall be installed upstream from the union, connector or quick disconnect device it serves. Such shutoff valves shall be provided with access.

2009 UMC see Section 1313.4

1313.4 Appliance Shutoff Valves and Connec­tions. Appliances connected to a piping system shall have an accessible, approved manual shutoff valve with a nondisplaceable valve member or a listed gas convenience outlet installed within six (6) feet (1,829 mm) of the appliance it serves. Where a connector is used, the valve shall be installed up-stream of the connector. A union or flanged connection shall be provided downstream from this valve to permit removal of controls. Shutoff valves serving decora­tive gas appliances shall be permitted to be installed in fireplaces if listed for such use. [NFPA 54:9.6.4]

Exceptions:(1) Shutoff valves shall be permitted to be accessibly located inside or under an appli­ance when such appliance can be removed without removal of the shutoff valve.

(2) Shutoff valves shall be permitted to be acces­sibly located inside wall heaters and wall furnaces listed for recessed installation where necessary maintenance can be performed without removal of the shutoff valve.

Pcinspector1 said:
mtlogcabin, can you turn your old man font back on? pc1
It looks like there has been a change to the software. All the other replies are a smaller font also.

Sorry about the large font portion. It was scanned from the code book and I did not take the time to resize it when I was editing the color portions.

I think he was wanting larger fonts.... Like what wa scanned :) You know... old man font... bigger so an old man can see it better! :)