• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

First Hand Fire Experience

Inspector 102

Silver Member
After 28 years as a volunteer firefighter, I had the misfortune of having most of my house and furning destroy by the beast. The area of origin was located on a wood deck outside and points toward an $80.00 home stereo that I would listen too while out there. I awoke at 4 oclock in the morning to a popping noise that I initially thought was someone trying to enter into my house. Image my suprise when I came around the corner and saw my outside deck/pergola starting to roll fire up the wall.

The one and only time I will ever get away with yelling at my wife I told her to wake up grab her phone and get the **** out.

My home was built in 1984 when smoke detectors were only required in the hallway the served the bedroom area. Has I not heard the sounds, by the time the detector would have activated, the outcome might have been a little more exciting. My wife never realized the intencity and speed that this things develope. I have watch the training films for years, but when it start rolling flame across your own living ceiling, it is a total different view.

After realizing my wife and dog were safely out of the house, I shifted into firefighter mode and starting radio traffic directing the responding trucks the the hydrant location, which exposure to attack initially and extra lines for interior attack. Eventually I did step back when other officers arrived and I was able to step back. Approximately 65% burn damage and 85% contents for fire and smoke. Total loss about $210,000. The insurance adjuster started talking repair since we still had at least 2 walls standing. I told him as a building official and firefighter that was not acceptable and figure on a total replacement. I promised him if it came down to it, I would get my wife involved.

When a public official has a situation like this, it is suprising how important it is to maintain the professional level and everything above board. One contractor offered to bring us dinner and I refused. Another offered storage space for any stuff I needed to get out and I had to refuse. I already picked my contractor, based totally on past performance and speed of completion. Hopefully I will not offend all the others.

Just has to vent alittle and tell my story. Everything is good and the Good Lord was watching over my family that more. After 28 years, my wife now has a totally new respect for firefighters and a better understanding on why some of the most routine calls can turn into a 4 hour ordeal.

good to hear no one hurt,

I normally tell people on a substantial fire, not total replacement they will be out at least six months

Yes it is a little different when a code official runs into the same problem he sees citizens having to deal with

I am sorry for your experience and wish you well on the recovery.

102: glad you've been taking the high road, and sorry for your loss. There maybe something to be said about keeping the exterior walls - particularly if there were any encroachments. Glad everyone is safe; "stuff" can always be replaced.. people and pets can't be.