• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Flagpoling

ICE

Oh Well
California Plumbing Code
906.3 Use of Roof. Vent pipes shall be extended separately or combined, of full required size, not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the roof or fire wall. Flagpoling of vents shall be prohibited except where the roof is used for purposes other than weather protection. Vents within 10 feet of a part of the roof that is used for such other purposes shall extend not less than 7 feet above such roof and shall be securely stayed.

This is not a well written code. First of all flagpoling is not a real word. Next is that flagpoling is permitted if a roof is used for more than protection from weather. There is no definition of flagpoling and what are the other purposes? What is the height that a vent is limited to before it becomes flagpoled (also not a real word)? If a roof supports mechanical equipment is that a purpose?

Well I just found this:

And I found this in several places: "Flagpoling means the plumbing vent terminal through the roof should hot have anything mounted on or attached to them. No tv anntennas, no satellite dishes, no anything."

And I found this in several places: "Flagpoling means the plumbing vent terminal through the roof should hot have anything mounted on or attached to them. No tv anntennas, no satellite dishes, no anything."
If that is correct, the code would not say this: "except where the roof is used for purposes other than weather protection"

If the reason behind the code is to prevent damage to the vent from attaching flagpoles and antennas, the code would say as much and not allow it if there was a secondary purpose for the roof.

It is clearly spelled out in MA plumbing code.

(6)Vent Terminals.
(a)Extension above Roof.
1. The vent extension through a roof shall be no less than two inches in diameter and shall extend not more than 24 inches and not less than 18 inches through the roof.
2. If the roof area is used for gardening a parking deck, observation deck or similar purposes the vent shall extend no less than eight feet above the roof and be increased one pipe diameter.

(c)Flag Poling Prohibited.
Vent terminals shall not be used for the purpose of flag poling, TV aerials, or similar purposes.

California Plumbing Code
906.3 Use of Roof. Vent pipes shall be extended separately or combined, of full required size, not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the roof or fire wall. Flagpoling of vents shall be prohibited except where the roof is used for purposes other than weather protection. Vents within 10 feet of a part of the roof that is used for such other purposes shall extend not less than 7 feet above such roof and shall be securely stayed.

This is not a well written code. First of all flagpoling is not a real word. Next is that flagpoling is permitted if a roof is used for more than protection from weather. There is no definition of flagpoling and what are the other purposes? What is the height that a vent is limited to before it becomes flagpoled (also not a real word)? If a roof supports mechanical equipment is that a purpose?
Well, if there is concern about how that is written, might I suggest you introduce a code change.
Just a thought; In regards to flagpoling, in my original 1988 Illustrated Manual, (UPC), the exact wording was provided. There has been no change in concept or understanding of that term. The concept is, why would you want the vent higher on the roof? Except for the 2 reasons given, I might think you could be in a somewhat windy area, and the clearance of 10' from or 3' higher than an opening into the building or mechanical intake may still allow odor back into the building. I would consider that a viable reason the have the higher vent, even though it says its prohibited. We are able to consider an AM&M for such conditions.

I believe there was a code change to allow the vent to be reduced to allow a solar panel to be placed over the vent and be legal.
2018?

Flagpoling probably comes from attaching UHF or VHF antennas to the vent piping I suspect?