• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

flame guard

You don't need an ES report to approve a material. If it meets the ASTM test is what matters.

High Desert said:
You don't need an ES report to approve a material. If it meets the ASTM test is what matters.
Correct, it is a tool to assist in making a decision to approve the use.

I would want to see the listing of the product with a testing lab to verify what test it passed. Could not determine from web site.

"PLEASE NOTE: As mentioned above, and repeatedly, the Flame Guard can NOT be mixed into any type of product other than low grade Interior Flat Latex Paint.

There is no need to call or email with questions such as:

"But can I mix it into oil paint?"

"Can I use it with a satin finish?"

"What about in deck stain?"

The answer to these...and all other questions is.....NO!"

A lot of attitude on the company webpage. I think I'll call them tomorrow and ask if the product can be used in satin finish oil-base deck stain.

At least they're up front about it. I've seen too many products with recommendations instead of a yes or no.

I wonder if it can be used with Nitro Cellulose Laquer?

A spontaneous combustible finish material with a flame retardent additive, sounds like a good product.