• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

flat ceiling 2x4

And lest we forget... I'm the guy that turned 'attic stairs' into a 500+ long thread here a while back. :eek:

For some reason the photo didn't load the first time I read the thread.... Thanks.

We treat them like ceiling joists as far as loading because they are supporting sheetrock. We also look at if they are nailed or screwed. If just nailed I would think that the weight would tend to pull the nails downward.

Mule said:
For some reason the photo didn't load the first time I read the thread.... Thanks. We treat them like ceiling joists as far as loading because they are supporting sheetrock. We also look at if they are nailed or screwed. If just nailed I would think that the weight would tend to pull the nails downward.
If you treat them like ceiling joists, do you treat vertical furring as studs?

Mark's #14 post is what I see in the field around duct work.

The 4ft rule is good, after 6ft I would consider the use of a hanger or other support?

pc1

brudgers said:
Anything over four legs, Abe Lincoln considered a tail...
Huh???? Never heard that before! :) Usually I can follow your humor but you lost me on this one! It was humor wasn't it?

Sorry brudgers, you must have me confused with someone else. They didn't have buses when I was in school. We had to walk to and from school. Uphill. Both ways. For miles. That was even before buckboards.

Big Mac said:
Sorry brudgers, you must have me confused with someone else. They didn't have buses when I was in school. We had to walk to and from school. Uphill. Both ways. For miles. That was even before buckboards.
I meant "where one arrived in a short bus." So yes I had "you" confused with "I."

The length of the bus, however, was correct.