• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Flood-resistant construction "building access" R323.1.4

TimNY

Platinum Member
What are you allowing as a "building access" exception to the BFE+2 minimum floor level?

I have a home where they propose an 8'x8' enclosure with the floor about 3' below BFE. Inside is a stairway which rises to the first floor which is about 5' above BFE. The 8x8 space is wide open between the first floor and the lowest floor. The enclosure is finished and conditioned but it's only reasonable purpose is to house the stairs (there's not enough room to put furnishings).

Flood vents are proposed. The surrounding grade is lower than the floor.

If the space was not inside the thermal envelope I wouldn't have an issue, but this is a new one on me.

Thanks!

I used to work for a firm that designed houses along the coast, mostly in S.C. The formal entry usually had a grand staircase outside leading up to the porch. Stair enclosures were typically used for service stairs, and were framed with treated lumber with treated plywood walls inside and out. The upper part of the walls, above floor level, and ceiling were insulated, leaving the stairs outside the insulated envelope.

I always try to follow up my threads if I resolve an issue.. so here goes..

I spoke with my local FEMA liason and he directed me to FEMA tech bulletin 7-93 which had a lot of good information. In layman's terms, as long as the construction below BFE is acceptible per the tech bulletin, it's not an issue. No carpet, GWB etc, but something such as the glass walls proposed in my situation would be ok.