• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Floor Area Gross with only one Bath room

RJJ

Co-Founder
In determining occupancy load on an existing strip store I have a plan showing a bagel shop with one unisex bath room. I would classify it B use less then 50. DP states 14.5 occ.

The existing use was take out pizza. Now have a combo of standing room and ten seats and tables.

Gross floor area is 1471sf

included in that figure is 750 sf of customer area with 5 small table each with two seats. The rest is standing area.

At what point does a retail shop need 2 bath rooms?

Re: Floor Area Gross with only one Bath room

By your description, it sounds like you've exceeded the 15 calculated occupants that would require separate restrooms. Ask the DP to break down his occupant calculation into individual areas/functions, to see how he came up with 14.5. Be sure to include the "back of house" kitchen, etc. as well as the seating/standing areas.

P.S. whenever I see around 14 calculated occupants (without an actual breakdown of areas) I get suspicious, since 15 is the magic number for dual restrooms.

So during plan review, do your own occupant load calculation, and ask for two restrooms in your correction letter. I do it all the time, they cry and whine, and eventually comply.

Occupant loads are based on the function of the space, not the group (IBC Table 1004.1.1). A 750 SF customer space would function as a dining area (50 occupants at 15 SF) or as a store (25 occupants at 30 SF). The person(s) behind the counter have to be counted, and a good bagel shop will seldom have only 4 people in line. I don't think there is any reasonable way this shop can be considered as having only 15 occupants.

Yep, they will have to have two accessible restrooms (one male & one female) due to occupant load exceeds 15-people in customer and employee calcualtions. That is also due to the 750-sf of dining area puts the space into Assembly. And I bet they will not let any of the customers use the restroom(s) and the restroom(s) will most likely be located through the kitchen area especially since it was a take out pizza space. :roll:

Hey, I just figured out how to insert these smilies. I know I am slow at times.