• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Floor Markings In A Mixed Use Bldg.

globe trekker

I have an existing 35,000 sq. ft. facility of mixed use, ...F-1, B, & S-1 occupancies.

In the fabrication areas, there are machines sectioned off by yellow tape on the

floor, both around the individual machines and " maybe supposed to be used as

egress path"?

Anyhoo,

QUESTION # 1: Is there a code requirement [ for "new" construction ] for having

a well defined pathway by the use of floor markings ( i.e - tape, painted, other ).

Maybe Section 1014.4 in the IBC ( i.e. - "Aisles shall be provided from all occupied

portions of the exit access which contain seat, tables, furnishings, displays and

similar fixtures or equipment" ).

QUESTION # 2: In an existing facility like this, with the tape already on the floor,

would they have to re-mark clearly what is already there? See Section 305.4

in the `06 IPMC.

QUESTION # 3: Would NFPA or OSHA standards apply as well?

Thanks ya'll ! :)

FWIW, We just had this discussion regarding "mercantile type" occupancies, but

that was another topic on this Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
GT,

Q1/3: In IBC I believe [“1014.2 Egress through intervening spaces” 09] is the only route where a F or S has any means for pathway identifications. Only other avenue is special amusement not applicable here in this example and the only occupancy in NFPA where egress path markings are required. Don’t know about OSHA.

Q2: The maintenance is structural security….in my opinion.