• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Floor surface requirements for 'dry boat storage (indoor)', Group S-1 occupancy

NerdelbaumFrinkJr

40' x 120' post-frame structure in Northern Wisconsin. Unheated, unconditioned, cold storage for boats on trailers. I drew this with a gravel floor. Does this building require a nonporous floor surface (concrete slab or asphalt) per the requirements in IBC 406 - Motor vehicle related occupancies?

We have done other buildings for this same client with a gravel floor, and this is the first time the issue has come up. Is the plan reviewer's enforcement of the code applicable here?

Do boats on trailers in seasonal/winter storage fall under the category of a motor vehicle? Can they be categorized as anything else?

California Building Code:
406.2.4 Floor surfaces. Floor surfaces shall be of concrete or similar approved noncombustible and nonabsorbent materials. The area of floor used for the parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway. The surface of vehicle fueling pads in motor fuel-dispensing facilities shall be in accordance with Section 406.7.1.

It comes down to the definition of the word "vehicle". Most States require that a boat be licensed and meet the requirements of a Department of Motor Vehicles.

I have stored boats in facilities as you described. There were also cars, trucks and motor-homes next to the boats. And by the way, my boats held way more gasoline than any car.