• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Florida Definition of Townhouse - [Different Than Others]

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If you are relocating to Florida and want to attempt to get your inspector/plans examiner or CBO licenses transferred, you will have to remember that things are a little different so you will have to read most everything all over again, right down to definitions such as Townhouse. The IBC and IRC does not have the same verbiage.

[A] TOWNHOUSE. A single-family dwelling unit not exceeding three stories in height constructed in a group of two or more attached units with property lines separating such units in which each unit extends from the foundation to roof and with a yard or public way on not less than two sides.

Including base IRC language for purposes of comparison.

2021 IRC
[RB]
TOWNHOUSE. A building that contains three or more attached townhouse units.
[RB] TOWNHOUSE UNIT. A single-family dwelling unit in a townhouse that extends from foundation to roof and that has a yard or public way on not less than two sides.

If you are relocating to Florida and want to attempt to get your inspector/plans examiner or CBO licenses transferred, you will have to remember that things are a little different so you will have to read most everything all over again, right down to definitions such as Townhouse. The IBC and IRC does not have the same verbiage.

[A] TOWNHOUSE. A single-family dwelling unit not exceeding three stories in height constructed in a group of two or more attached units with property lines separating such units in which each unit extends from the foundation to roof and with a yard or public way on not less than two sides.
If I remember correctly I think you said that Florida doesn't adopt any IRC stuff, IBC only with amendments right?

[A] TOWNHOUSE. A single-family dwelling unit constructed in a group of three or more attached units in which each unit extends from the foundation to roof and with open space on at least two sides.

If I remember correctly I think you said that Florida doesn't adopt any IRC stuff, IBC only with amendments right?
I remember that thread... and I think the discussion therein was only related to the Ch. 1 administration provisions.

We have our own version of the IBC & IRC that uses them as a base with changes specific to Florida.

For example
FBC Building = IBC
FBC Residential = IRC
FBC Plumbing = IPC
etc
etc