• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Florida Engineer Licensing Statute Limits What a Licensed Electrical Contractor Can Do

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Do not forget the following per FS471.003. This is in the engineering statute and not the contractor licensing statute.

Any electrical, plumbing, air-conditioning, or mechanical contractor whose practice includes the design and fabrication of electrical, plumbing, air-conditioning, or mechanical systems, respectively, which she or he installs by virtue of a license issued under chapter 489, under former part I of chapter 553, Florida Statutes 2001, or under any special act or ordinance when working on any construction project which:
1. Requires an electrical or plumbing or air-conditioning and refrigeration system with a value of $125,000 or less; and
2.a. Requires an aggregate service capacity of 600 amperes (240 volts) or less on a residential electrical system or 800 amperes (240 volts) or less on a commercial or industrial electrical system

Which means:
A licensed EC cannot design an electrical system that is greater than 600A for a 240v residential system or an 800A commercial system, or a commercial system greater than 240v. In addition, an EC cannot design a system valued at greater than $125,000 without drawings from an engineer.

Want to know how it really works?
I have spent yesterday and this morning designing a 1600A 480y/277V system for an industrial facility. Tomorrow this will be turned over to the GC who will then submit it to the EE. EE will charge the GC $400-$600 a page to have an intern CAD it up and he will stamp it.

I do this all the time.

I am an hourly employee so I get payed for my design. Not sure how my employer gets reimbursed for this.

Real world despite the fact that both my employer and myself are well aware of the fact that what Jeff posted is true.