• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Florida gas logs?

steveray

SAWHORSE
Anything in Florida that doesn't allow a gas log unvented or to not allow the existing solid fuel fireplace flue to vent it? My sister is putting one in and her contractor may be telling her stories.....thanks!

I'm not in Florida, but existing solid fuel fireplaces are where gas logs are intended to be used. Its what they are made for.
I have also seen them installed in ventless fireplace boxes. The box is listed as ventless for use with a gas log. The ones I've seen the box and gas log came from the same manufacturer and were approved for use together.

Yeah....looked at their codes online through Upcodes and didn't see a prohibition there (in other than sleeping rooms), but the contractors there don't seem to even know if it falls under Lake Mary or Seminole county jurisdiction....