• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Florida window solar gain

e hilton

Bronze Member
Miami, specifically. Where can I find information on allowable heat gain through windows and/or storefront in Miami.

The requirements are in the energy code. If you go the performance route, then the numbers can be tweaked in the energy calc. If you go the prescriptive route then the requirements are in the code. Table C402.4, for example, has the glazing requirements for commercial use. Miami is in climate zone 1; https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/FLEC2020P1/chapter-4-ce-commercial-energy-efficiency

Residential has a different, but similar, table in another chapter of that code.

The prescriptive numbers are hard to meet without insulated glass.

Thanks. That was a poorly worded question, let me try again. Client is complaining that the storefront glass is too dark, makes it difficult for pedestrians to see in ... can't see in, can’t be attracted. They think there is film on the windows and doors, so why can’t we just peel it off? Easy peasy. So I am trying to find backup to tell them it can’t be done.

Question about the fenestration calculation. C402.4.1.1 says not more than 40% of the wall area can be glass. In a strip center type situation where you have a party wall with a neighbor business, can the party wall be counted toward the 60%?

Tell them it can't be peeled off, the film is in the middle, it can only be sanded off. Joking aside; tell them it's required. There are glasses that are practically clear but they're costly (insulated, starphire, etc.).

Tecnoglass has some glasses that get good numbers. I've been getting them on a lot of my projects for the past few years so I assume that means their pricing is good too. If it's already installed and they don't want to pay then they may be SOA.

That section does say "gross above-grade wall area" so I could buy that argument. But I can't remember the last time I did a prescriptive project so my confidence with that assessment is low. I just use the tables as a jumping off point, then refine as the project develops and/or if the engineers doing the energy calcs say something needs to change.