• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Florida - Wiring in Attic

NewToTile

In my new house attic, I found wiring stapled to studs in a few places, but there are no guard strips. I also found a connection box laying on a joist/truss, dangling from non-metallic cable (Romex). See photo. This attic is not occupied, has no floor and no ceiling, and the only access is a pull-down ladder.

I'm not an electrician, but I thought code required guards for wire crossing joists and prohibited hidden boxes. Are these clear code violations or acceptable practice?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 19
Your profile indicates that you are in Florida. I am in California. Your requirements may be different from mine.
2020 NEC:

334.23 In Accessible Attics. The installation of cable in accessible attics or roof spaces shall also comply with 320.23.

320.23 In Accessible Attics.
Type AC cables in accessible attics or roof spaces shall be installed as specified in 320.23(A) and ( B). (A) Cables Run Across the Top of Floor Joists. Where run across the top of floor joists, or within 2.1 m (7 ft) of the floor or floor joists across the face of rafters or studding, the cable shall be protected by guard strips that are at least as high as the cable. Where this space is not accessible by permanently installed stairs or ladders, protection shall only be required within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the nearest edge of the scuttle hole or attic entrance.

334.30 Securing and Supporting.
Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties listed and identified for securement and support, or straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4)4 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every cable entry into enclosures such as outlet boxes, junction boxes, cabinets, or fittings. The cable length between the cable entry and the closest cable support shall not exceed 450 mm (18 in.). Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.

314.23 Supports.
Enclosures within the scope of this article shall be supported in accordance with one or more of the provisions in 314.23(A) through (H).

(A) Surface Mounting. An enclosure mounted on a building or other surface shall be rigidly and securely fastened in place. If the surface does not provide rigid and secure support, additional support in accordance with other provisions of this section shall be provided.

(B) Structural Mounting. An enclosure supported from a structural member or from grade shall be rigidly supported either directly or by using a metal, polymeric, or wood brace.

Last edited:
I believe the box should be anchored to the framing and there should be nail plates or other protection within 6' of attic entrance, based on you description of no flooring. Is there any wiring within 6' of attic entrance?

Ice & Bill, Thank you both for the details.

The only wiring within 6' of the entrance is a switch and light to illuminate the attic. I think that is required by 210.70(C).

.....light to illuminate the attic. I think that is required by 210.70(C).

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required. Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70 (A), (B), and (C).

(C) All Occupancies.
For attics and underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch or listed wall-mounted control device shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. A point of control shall be at each entry that permits access to the attic and underfloor space, utility room, or basement. Where a lighting outlet is installed for equipment requiring service, the lighting outlet shall be installed at or near the equipment.