• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Foam Insulation under an unenclosed floor

retire09

Silver Member
We are doing a building on pilings and have decided we want to spray urethane insulation on the underside of the steel pan deck and then apply a polyurethane coating. This is on the exterior of the building under the floor slab raised up on concrete pilings. Are there any Smoke Development or Flame Spread requirements for an exterior application like this? This is not a crawl space, but rather open to the environment, but at one end the floor does butt into the hill side at grade so the clear area under the elevated slab goes from several feet to zero. I can find no code application for an unenclosed floor.

Althought not a code requirement, I would strongly suggest (hint, hint) providing a thermal barrier ---- open celled foam will accept burning embers and allow them to smodered until they become strong enought to ignite the foam......all it would take would be a small ember from campfire for smores to take your house to the ground.

I seem to recall a song " It only takes a spark...."

( = = = )

retire,

What code edition are you using ?.........Also, have you looked

at Ch. 26 - Plastic, in the `12 IBC ?

( = = = )