• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Foil face batt insulation

Rider Rick

Silver Member
When do you install batt insulation with the foil to the cold side of an exterior wall?

In colder climate areas, vapor retarders are placed toward the heated or conditioned side of the wall.

This is done to reduce water vapor penetration into the wall from the building interior.

Conversely, in predominantly hot, humid climates local place the vapor retarder toward the outside of the wall cavity.

Rider Rick said:
What would be the correct way to install in Los Angeles?
What CA energy code climate zone? There are 16 climate zones in CA. I belive there are more than eight in the So. CA area.

6 in LA county

caclim2.gif

So it depends.....LA has deserts, beaches and mountains

Typicaly toward the outside of the wall cavity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to your Mechanical Engineer

I only use vapor barriers when required.

I don't like to trap the moisture in the wall, floor or attic.

Rider Rick said:
Does heat go to cold with a dew point around 59 degree.
You will need a psychrometric chart, your inside design temperature and your humidity level (typically from 20%to 40%). this information will tell you at what temperature the dew point is.

Now the hard part, in order to determine where in the wall assembly your vapour barrier needs to be placed you need to know the heat loss from the building through all the portions of the building envelope (walls, ceilings, exposed floors, perimeter of concrete slab, ect.) you also need to know all of the forms of heat gain (solar heat gains through windows, doors walls, and ceilings, gains from people and equipment, ect.) once you have all this information you should be able to pinpoint exactly where your vapour barrier must be placed within your wall assembly to prevent condensation from forming on the inside of your wall.

I'm not sure what the foil is being used for.

The foil is on the inside of the shear wall plywood with building paper on the outside.

This building is going to be new classrooms at a public school.

Rider Rick said:
I'm not sure what the foil is being used for. The foil is on the inside of the shear wall plywood with building paper on the outside. This building is going to be new classrooms at a public school.
If it is being used as a radiant barrier, it doesn't matter which way it faces. The airspace is provided by the batt insulation.

Assuming it is on batts.

Update:

Job site visit today

Under insulation section J.

Stud Framing: Place foil side of thermal batts toward inside of building by attaching at 6 inches oc.

1.Batts under framing: Attach flanges to studs at 4" centers and ensure batt facings form continuous vapor barrier. Provide tightly stretched string wires along center of horizontal or sloping batts where support spacing exceed 16" on centers. Install batts in exterior walls with vapor barier facing room.