• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fool-proof fire alarm notification?

Simonsays

Okay, it's been a week for fish stories and whoppers ....

Outside, on a blank wall no where near a fire department connection, situated at the rear of a large mercantile building, is a wall mounted horn/strobe fire alarm notification device.

What's this for, I inquire.

That's for when an alarm sounds at say 2 am and the interior automatic dialers have FAILED. This device will annoy and irritate the neighbors who will call it in to the proper authorities and save the store. It's in the code, I was told.

Anybody out there familiar with that "section of code?"

The codes will not mandate the location of the (if sprinkled >20 heads) local alarm notification for water flow (NFPA 13 Alarm Attachments). It's great when we we can have the device near the FDC however the important thing is to have it (the potential) recognized in the event of emergency. Typically these attachments will be near the street view and in one case I've seen it was right outside the bedroom of a neighboring dwelling to give the best chance of recognition.

Personally, we require weather proof H/S on the visible street side where our pumper will respond since the intent of the requirement is to indicate "water flow" (fire) and to provide notification for water damage reduction in the event of accidential discharge. Our on-board pre-plans give us the FDC location.