• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Football stadium & athletic complex

Linda

We are designing a building in support of an existing football stadium. The new building will house locker rooms, offices, training rooms, hall of fame, lounge, & indoor seating for viewing the game (VIP seating/boxes). The building will abut the stadium. Some new outdoor bleacher seating areas are also part of the project. What occupancy group would the new building fall into? A-3, A-5? I assume NOT an A-4, since the stadium and its seating are completely outdoors.

Thanks!

college or high school or other???

sounds like A-5, with a few other stuff mixed in

If it's open to the atmosphere, then it's an A-5. If there's any roof, including a retractable one, which would prohibit the movement of smoke, then it's an A-4.

This is language from the 2009 IBC Commentary..."Both Group A-4 and A-5 occupancies will include a variety of uses that support the viewing of sports and similar activities. There will likely be luxury seating suites, locker rooms, toilet facilities and press boxes, which are clearly part of the overall uses of the facility. There will also be offices, food concession stands and merchandise stands which by their use are different occupancies, but are probably within the accessory occupancy limits established in Section 508.2. Because of the multitiered design of most Group A-4 and A-5 occupancies, the limit for accessory occupancies to account for less than 10 percent of the story will need to be creatively applied. There may be full-fledged restaurants that are in the same building, but may be open to guests not limited to those attending an event."

Reading that tells me it's still an A-5 with a possible A-2.

I will cast a vote for non separated mixed use with primary occupancy A-5 or A-4 depending upon the roof situation. Being in sunny CA I doubt it has a retractable roof so most likely A-5.

ZIG

the stadium is there

this is a stand alone building, it will "abut" the stadium

to touch along a border or with a projecting part

a: to terminate at a point of contact

b: to lean for support

transitive verb

: to border on

: to cause to abut

I vote "mixed use" bldg. as well! The RDP should indentify each space within the bldg.

according to its intended use, and assign an appropriate Occupancy Group classification

to that space.