• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Forgetting" to call for concrete inspections

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
"Oh, I just forgot", "I was racing the weather and it slipped my mind" - I could maybe accept that one time, but after that, what do you do to "train" or "re-train" contractors to be sure to: A. Give plenty of notice that work is ready for inspection, and B. Under no circumstances to proceed without approval? I hate to go the citation route, but after a foundation's poured, it is unlikely that I would get the political support (or even prosecutorial support) to have them completely demo. and redo the foundation. At that point, it's spilled milk, but there has to be something to do that will have the effect of leaving an indelible remider in their memory that the last thing they want to do is "forget to call" for an inspection. Is a citation the best tool to accomplish that?

The same old story everywhere, we all deal with it!

My solution has been to continually remind everyone concerned - starting with the first conversation and initial application - about how & when to schedule an inspection, who needs to be present at the site, and what the inspection entails, tests, documents, etcetc. After a while it sinks in that this stuff is important. Occasionally if I'm in the neighborhood, I'll drop in on a project and say hello, and remind again "don't cover anything up until its been inspected and approved". After finishing an inspection I remind again "The next inspeciton will be for the XXXXX system" or whatever it is.

When somebody proceeds beyond where they should have, it's sometime appropriate to ask them to uncover key areas or a "representative number" of several areas, depending on the job. Freguently the RDP or special inspectors can provide related adequate info.

In short, I hammer away at 'em from day one, and if somebody fails to call one in, they can't say "We didn't know...." And yes, I've ordered all kinds of work removed for non compliance.

Code Neophyte said:
Is a citation the best tool to accomplish that?
No. A citation, along with a one-year revocation of their contractor registration is the best tool to accomplish that.

One of the best ordinances we have, is the ordinance that requires revocation of a contractor's registration for one year for performing work without permits or inspections.

I give them one warning, which is more than I'm obligated to give them.

Word gets out real fast.

texasbo said:
No. A citation, along with a one-year revocation of their contractor registration is the best tool to accomplish that.One of the best ordinances we have, is the ordinance that requires revocation of a contractor's registration for one year for performing work without permits or inspections.

Word gets out real fast.
Ditto. We have the same thing. It don't take long at all for everyone to know about it. Especially after you revoke one!

Slide it in when you adopt the codes :) Sometimes you just gotta be a slick willy!

Well.....I don't know how that got in there!!!!!!!

Stop work order is issued first. Then we would make them get an engineer's approval first before restarting the work. What the contractor would need to do is what ever is required by the engineer.

That stops a lot of----- I forgot.

I like that idea, too! In other words, the engineer will prescribe the testing needed to verify compliance, and he or she will not sign off unless that testing is done.

Ditto to FredK, stop work until we have engineering in hand. We don't have contractor licensing either. Tried a couple times in the last eight years, both times had Councils that were sympathetic to contractors.

Tell the contractor to have a X-RAY done on the footing. Very expensive, when you hit there pocket book they have a good memory after that.

In some states contractor licensing is a state thing that the local jurisdiction has no say about. The only thing they can do is to report violations to the state licensing board.

Suggest that you issue a stop work order until they can provide evidence that the reinforcement and concrete have been installed according to the permit. This could mean concrete cores, non distructive and destructive testing to locate reinforcing. If you are not willing to do this give up and close the office.

One thing we do here at the time the permit is issued is ask: 'when do you plan to start?' or how soon do you plan to place concrete? When they seem to be in a hurry [all the time] we suggest they reserve an inspection time right then and there. We tell them it's easier to cancel the time than to try to squeeze the inspection in at the last minute. We also tell them we're not here to stop their construction job, but to facilitate it, that means we [us and them] try to cooperate for smooth operations. Most of the contractors seem to appreciate this approach and it makes for good working relationships. Of course, we've had to issue the red tags on occasion, and require engineering when 'they forgot.' It takes a lot of time to train anyone!

Code Neophyte said:
I wish it were that easy, Mule! Heck - we can't even get a rental inspection program, let alone a contractor registration!!
You sound like you are in the same boat as me. Our contractor registration program has been rejected too many times to count, even with a home owners exemption.

We do however reserve the right to have work removed, and some cases we did have sections removed only to discover improper re-bar placement. That was a great day. Ultimately what gets them is when we require a third party engineer to sign off on their footing/foundation work. The time and money saved by calling in an inspection (we do next day timed inspections when called in by 5pm the day before) is the learning point nine times out of ten, and yet some just never learn.

Special inspections after-the-fact can be very expensive, and very educational too.

Just make sure that the qualified special inspector details his test methods and results in writing to you.

I agree. We require a certification letter from an engineer. At $300-$500 a pop they learn fast. We have had a few contractors that were abusing the system. The boss sent them a warning letter about having to remove any future slabs that were poured prior to inspection of the prep and that solved it. There is a big difference between forgetting once or not knowing and repeatedly abusing the system.

Recently, on a commercial retaining wall for a parking lot I had the same issue except there was not a permit for the job either. The job was stopped. There was not a keyway in the footing as specified by the engineer and on the prints that I acquired, the thickness of the footer was 18" and not the 24 specified by the P.E.. I met the P.E. on the jobsite a day or so later to review my findings and he had to spec out a complete repair. In the photo below, neither I, nor the P.E. were happy with the lazy work done and lack of a bulkhead between pours. They had to saw cut and chisel this out to the P.E.'s specifications. I also required a letter from the P.E specifying the repair methods until they were allowed to even call us for another inspection.

IMAG0254.jpg

I am lucky to have the back-up needed to condemn a footing, even a slab, if necessary to correct a repeating circumstance of this kind. And, did once about six years ago;

Third strike: Contractor warned that demo would be required after second warning. The slab inspection was called in at about 4:00 PM, and the inspection occurred the following morning at 7:30 AM. Slab was poured. Six other houses were going up on the culdesac. Every builder and trade on the block apparently had been told by the concrete contractor that morning that "he wasn't gonna wait for the #^&&)(*&^&% inspection . . . all eyes were on me when I pulled up to the job.

The city backed me up on condemning the slab which ultimately resulted in a three week delay, and an engineer report including core sample reports. We did not require removal, but I had the back-up to make that call had I not had confidence in the pour because of my history with the builder and concrete contractor (consistantly good work).

Every builder and trade saw that slab sit for three weeks in a economic environment and for a builder that would normally be calling for a framing inspection at three weeks.

Word got around. With the exception of a couple of out-of-town remodeler room additions, I haven't had other instances.

The other side of the coin is that you must be consistent to inspect every footing and every slab, no matter how well you know the workmanship. No "freebees" for your buddies or those whom call for special treatment based on years of relationship and producing quality work, but haven't allowed time for the inspection process.

Sample Ordinance

Originally Posted by texasbo

No. A citation, along with a one-year revocation of their contractor registration is the best tool to accomplish that.

One of the best ordinances we have, is the ordinance that requires revocation of a contractor's registration for one year for performing work without permits or inspections.

Mule

Word gets out real fast.

Ditto. We have the same thing. It don't take long at all for everyone to know about it. Especially after you revoke one!

We would like to pass an ordinance like that!! Can I get a copy of yours????