• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Forum Policy for Attachments Versus Links to Files?

walker.t

Are there any forum guidelines regarding attaching files produced by others? I would like to respond to a post regarding stairs and attach a PDF from The Stairbuilders and Manufacturers Association (SMA.) My main concern is that the document is copyrighted by SMA, I wouldn’t modify the document, just download it and attach it. Maybe a link is the safest thing to do so no one at SMA can complain that someone is distributing their materials without their permission?

If you post the link to SMA's pdf, doesn't that just download it to whomever clicks it? Seems like link or attachment makes little difference.

Are there any forum guidelines regarding attaching files produced by others? I would like to respond to a post regarding stairs and attach a PDF from The Stairbuilders and Manufacturers Association (SMA.) My main concern is that the document is copyrighted by SMA, I wouldn’t modify the document, just download it and attach it. Maybe a link is the safest thing to do so no one at SMA can complain that someone is distributing their materials without their permission?
Thank you for your message and for participating in our educational forum. We appreciate your understanding of the concept of 'fair use' when it comes to educational purposes. While we don't actively encourage the use of copyrighted material, we do recognize the value of education.

That said, we want to ensure that we stay within legal boundaries. If the material you wish to post is not publicly available, we kindly request that you refrain from posting it. It's essential to respect copyright laws and intellectual property rights, even in an educational context.

We value your commitment to learning and sharing knowledge, and we believe that together, we can maintain a respectful and lawful environment within our community.

If you have any questions or need further guidance on what can be shared, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for being a valuable member of The Building Code Forum.

Your question pertains specifically to the Stairbuilders and Manufacturers Association (SMA), an organization with the admirable goal of educating its members about building codes and discouraging arbitrary changes within them. It's crucial to recognize that hiding educational materials in members-only areas, while potentially enticing more memberships, can run counter to the primary objective of education.

The information that SMA holds can be immensely valuable not only to its members but also to the broader building code industry, encompassing building officials, inspectors, plans examiners, architects, and engineers—all of whom are active participants here in The Building Code Forum (TBCF).

This situation parallels the music industry's historical struggle, where record labels fiercely protected their songs from being used on social media, fearing copyright infringement. However, they later realized that such sharing could serve as free promotion for the songs they own. It underscores the evolving nature of our world, where industries often fail to grasp new opportunities until they view them from a different perspective.

Therefore, if the SMA were to initiate legal actions against TBCF, it would not only be detrimental to their own interests but also be seen as an ill-advised move within the broader building code industry. It would appear as if they were targeting the very individuals they aim to educate and collaborate with.

In light of the litigious world we live in, where the bigger picture can sometimes get lost in legal disputes, we reiterate the importance of refraining from posting anything on this forum that is protected by copyright and limited to a members-only area, even if it could be argued as falling under 'fair use.' We value the open exchange of knowledge here on TBCF and aim to maintain a respectful and legally compliant environment for all participants.

Thank you for your valuable input and dedication to our community's mission.

I sent your question to the forum owner.
Thank you.

If you post the link to SMA's pdf, doesn't that just download it to whomever clicks it? Seems like link or attachment makes little difference.
I found the link to the PDF by an online search, not by going directly to the SMA site. Turns out after looking more closely at the domain in the link that the document is on a building material supplier’s website, not on the SMA site. I’ll respond to the post about stairs and tell them about the document and leave it to them to go to the SMA site to investigate the matter further.

we reiterate the importance of refraining from posting anything on this forum that is protected by copyright and limited to a members-only area
Thank you for the detailed response, I appreciate a moderator commenting on the matter. Post with my reference to the SMA document is: