• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Four story building, stairway to roof

khsmith55

Bronze Member
2009 IBC Section 1009.13. Stairway to roof. My simple mind is confused, could someone explain what an “occupied” roof is. Does this refer to mechanical equipment on the roof or something else.

Thanks,

Ken

It's not defined in the IBC, but I would consider an occupied roof is any roof that is used by occupants for purposes other than mechanical equipment and roof maintenance.

2009 IBC Section 1009.13 commentary says " because of safety considerations, roofs used for habitable purposes such as roof gardens, observation decks, sporting facilities (including jogging or walking tracks and tennis courts) or other similar uses, must be provided with conventional stairways that will serve as required means of egress This to me would define the term "occupied". Hope this helps. The commentary codes (and this forum) are a great resource for me. On another note. I learned how to swim at The Glenwood Hot Springs. Lived there from about 3-7 yrs old:D