• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Freaky Friday

Alias

Okay, showed up for work this AM and received news from the PD that the Lt. had busted several guys dismantling a metal building in town. He told them that they needed a permit from the city to remove the building. They were just in my office and left with the demo permit app.

I requested a copy of any paperwork that he has for the sale between him and the property owner for the buildiing. CYA

And now, the rest of the story.......(thanks Paul)

Said building is 50' x 60', 3,000 sq. ft. Property is up for back tax sale in about a month. Property also has numerous liens on it from private parties. I was alerted to the building removal by one of the lien holders. I told him there wasn't anything I could really do at this point to stop the removal. Lien holder is talking to his attorney. Injunction maybe.....dunno, civil matter.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/fiddlefooted/metal%20building/511NHoward03-15-13001.jpg

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/fiddlefooted/metal%20building/511NHoward03-15-13003.jpg

Your opinions and comments are appreciated.

Sue, where the weird still lives..........:cowboy

= +

"And now, the rest of the story.......(thanks Paul)"
For you younger folks, this reference is to Mr. "Paul Harvey" Aurandt.......Oneof the best newsmen and broadcaster ever !.......There will never be anymore

like Mr. Aurandt.....FWIW, ...everyone knew him as simply Paul Harvey!......See

the links: = = = > | Paul Harvey - HOME , Paul Harvey ,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Harvey

...and thanks Sue [ aka **ALIAS** ] for the memory reference!

+ =

are the dismalanters autorized agents of the owner of the buildng? if not I would not issue the permit.

If the muni has a line on the property in my town the town collector will not sign off on the permit.

"And now, the rest of the story.......(thanks Paul)" I miss Paul. A Christian Gentleman to be sure. With that said and no offence to Paul Harvey sure looks like a s#$@ storm to me!

Alias said:
I requested a copy of any paperwork that he has for the sale between him and the property owner for the buildiing. CYA
It sounds as though someone recently purchased the property and is now tearing down the building. That makes no sense. I'm no legal beagle but it seems to me that if there are liens to be satisfied, the sale is a sham. Perhaps you should talk to the city attorney. I would stall long enough to give the stakeholders a shot at getting this before a judge.

What's the worst that can happen to you if you say no for a few weeks? What's the worst that can happen to you if you issue a demo permit only to find out that the owner tore down the building out of spite?....illegally.

ICE said:
It sounds as though someone recently purchased the property and is now tearing down the building. That makes no sense. I'm no legal beagle but it seems to me that if there are liens to be satisfied, the sale is a sham. Perhaps you should talk to the city attorney. I would stall long enough to give the stakeholders a shot at getting this before a judge.What's the worst that can happen to you if you say no for a few weeks? What's the worst that can happen to you if you issue a demo permit only to find out that the owner tore down the building out of spite?....illegally.
Current owner owes the back taxes. He is the one that sold one of the metal buildings to a third party. Third party is removing building BEFORE tax sale. Lien holder(s) are the party that called PD, my office, the mayor.........etc. to report the removal of the building.

The metal building in question is attached to a slab. Does this make it real property or not? dunno.....

Sue

Alias said:
The metal building in question is attached to a slab. Does this make it real property or not? dunno.....Sue
Yes, it's real property and removal, while the property has a lien against it is definitely illegal! Removing the building greatly reduces the value of the property. It also reduces the amount of money that a public sale to satisfy the lien will bring in.