• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Frying and No Hood

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just had a relative of mine stop me in the grocery store this evening. He wants to start a hot dog joint and was asking me about a fryer. Luckily it is not in my jurisdiction. Anyway he told me one of his friend uses a special fryer setup that does not require a hood. I told him I was not aware of any such animal so I guess I should ask here. I said he needed a Type 1 hood setup if he planned on making fries. What don't I know here?

Re: Frying and No Hood

They do make listed ventless kitchen equipment. I would go to the ICC ESR reports or the UL site and browse there.

`

Dr. J,

Would your example require an ES Report or could

the AHJ determine its viability without one, and

simply require the Type I Hood system?

`

north star said:
`Dr. J,

Would your example require an ES Report or could

the AHJ determine its viability without one, and

simply require the Type I Hood system?

`
They need a Type I hood regardless, it is just that there is no ducting required, and they would also need fire suppression of the ventless hood.

Dr. J said:
Here is one such system.
This is nice because it's all there...you just have to make sure the building ventilation can handle it.

Ultra-violet (UV) treatment is also being incorporated into new hood design. UV light breaks down grease molecules into smaller harmless compounds of carbon dioxide and water vapor, which are carried out with the exhaust airflow. The UV treatment process does create ozone, which, depending on whom you speak to, may or may not be a problem.

http://hpac.com/popular/grease_removal_kitchen_exhaust/

pros cons

http://ezinearticles.com/?Pros-and-Cons ... id=2444152

example ::::

http://www.openpr.com/pdf/15527/UV-Lamp ... st-air.pdf

************** NOTE **************

If you inspect one of thes make sure the light is off, do not look at the light, and it will give you a nice tan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All these replies are great and informing, but didn't OP say he wanted to serve hot dogs?

Being already cooked all you hav e to do is heat 'em somehow, right? Like microwaving?

For more entertaining reference re hot dog vending check:

A Confederacy of Dunces: A Novel

by John Kennedy Toole

"""" Just had a relative of mine stop me in the grocery store this evening. He wants to start a hot dog joint and was asking me about a fryer. Luckily it is not in my jurisdiction. Anyway he told me one of his friend uses a special fryer setup that does not require a hood. I told him I was not aware of any such animal so I guess I should ask here. I said he needed a Type 1 hood setup if he planned on making fries. What don't I know here? """"

DON'T see no dogs in this hunt

"...He wants to start a hot dog joint..."

Now I remember, tho, they only serve those at pool halls.

Thanks now I see the dog!!!!!!! Must be one of them chiwawa's

Who says you can't deep fry hot dogs? They deep fry Twinkies, Snickers Bars, etc.