• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fuel Efficient / Low Emitting Vehicle Parking Only

Mech

I ran across one of these signs in a parking lot last night - first time for me.

I'm curious. What qualifies as fuel efficient? 30 mpg? 35 mpg? 40 mpg?

This is typically a LEED point (Sustainable Sites - Credit 4.3). It is probably a building owner sign similar to "10 Minute Loading Only". The question has always been who enforces this? Most likely not enforceable by the local police/parking patrol. Unlike a handicapped parking violation, which is enforceable, what can a building owner do when a Hummer is parked there?

The link only appears to refer to vehicles parked without current registration. I doubt many (any?) jurisdictions have officially addressed Fuel Efficient / Low Emitting Vehicle parking, like they have for handicapped parking, although I would not be surprised for Portland to be among the first.

To answer my own question, I suppose the consequence for violating a building owner sign would be to be towed by the building owner. I assume this is well established law. Similar to the loading zones or spaces designated for specific tenants.