• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Funeral Home

He asked about other states and how we handle older buildings without a CO. Simple answer is "They are permitted and a CO is not required"

mtlogcabin said:
He asked about other states and how we handle older buildings without a CO. Simple answer is "They are permitted and a CO is not required"
Yes Sir, completely understand. Just making a note about how PA does not use Chapter 1 because we get that response from a lot of RDP's who quote chapter 1 and I have to tell them. "That's really nice but it does not mean anything in PA"

Jar546, the section of the PA UCC that your are using is only form jurisdiction that PA L&I has jurisdiction or if your jurisdiction has adopted an ordinance that allows you to use the PA L&I method. Also, PA L&I has to approve your proposed ordinance.

In jurisdiction where PA L&I has no authority, the use of Compliance Alternatives from IBC Chapter 34 or IBC Chapter 13 should be used:

PA UCC Reg; § 403.28. Uncertified buildings.

© All of the following apply to uncertified buildings

where the Department does not have jurisdiction

and which are not governed under subsection (a):

(1) A construction code official shall issue a certificate of occupancy to an uncertified building if it meets the requirements of the latest version of the “International Existing Building Code” or Chapter 34 of the “International Building Code.” The construction code official shall utilize the code for the municipality which best applies, in the official’s professional judgment.

(2) A construction code official may deny the issuance of a certificate of occupancy if the official deems that a building is unsafe because of inadequate means of egress, inadequate lighting and ventilation, fire hazards or other dangers to human life or to public welfare.

(3) A municipality governed under this subsection may utilize the standards of subsection (b) for the issuance of certificates of occupancy to uncertified buildings if the municipality adopts an ordinance.

Jim B said:
Jar546, the section of the PA UCC that your are using is only form jurisdiction that PA L&I has jurisdiction or if your jurisdiction has adopted an ordinance that allows you to use the PA L&I method. Also, PA L&I has to approve your proposed ordinance.In jurisdiction where PA L&I has no authority, the use of Compliance Alternatives from IBC Chapter 34 or IBC Chapter 13 should be used:

PA UCC Reg; § 403.28. Uncertified buildings.

© All of the following apply to uncertified buildings

where the Department does not have jurisdiction

and which are not governed under subsection (a):

(1) A construction code official shall issue a certificate of occupancy to an uncertified building if it meets the requirements of the latest version of the “International Existing Building Code” or Chapter 34 of the “International Building Code.” The construction code official shall utilize the code for the municipality which best applies, in the official’s professional judgment.

(2) A construction code official may deny the issuance of a certificate of occupancy if the official deems that a building is unsafe because of inadequate means of egress, inadequate lighting and ventilation, fire hazards or other dangers to human life or to public welfare.

(3) A municipality governed under this subsection may utilize the standards of subsection (b) for the issuance of certificates of occupancy to uncertified buildings if the municipality adopts an ordinance.
I posted the entire section, including what you just posted. I am aware of the language and do not know whether or not the municipality in question adopted subsection (b) or not. The information is there for the AHJ to determine which section applies.

(1) A construction code official shall issue a certificate of occupancy to an uncertified building if it meets the requirements of the latest version of the "International Existing Building Code" or Chapter 34 of the "International Building Code." The construction code official shall utilize the code for the municipality which best applies, in the official's professional judgment.
My favorite part of the code for those of us that can't use subsection ©

IEBC it is