• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Furnace location in 2 family dwelling unit....

righter101

Gold Member
I have an IRC structure (basically a duplex, known in our jurisdiction as an "attached ADU", functions as a 2 family dwelling)

Can I put the furnace for one unit in the other unit????

Why or why not?

I have one section in mind code wise that would disallow it, but it takes an interpretation of "independent" to get there....

thanks guys.

No, because everybody has to have access to there heating unit at all times. Same goes for the main water shut off and hot water tank.

this is the way we do here.

Good Luck

Justin

righter101 said:
I have an IRC structure (basically a duplex, known in our jurisdiction as an "attached ADU", functions as a 2 family dwelling)Can I put the furnace for one unit in the other unit????

Why or why not?

I have one section in mind code wise that would disallow it, but it takes an interpretation of "independent" to get there....

thanks guys.
IMO you're on the right track. You have attached dwelling units (ADU?). The IRC defines a DWELLING UNIT.

"A single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation."

If one unit has two furnaces and the other none then you have one independent unit and one dependent.

Are they electric?

240.24(B) Occupancy. Each occupant shall have ready access to all overcurrent devices protecting the conductors supplying that occupancy, unless otherwise permitted in 240.24(B)(1) and (B)(2).

imhotep said:
IMO you're on the right track. You have attached dwelling units (ADU?). The IRC defines a DWELLING UNIT. ADU= Accessory Dwelling Unit. Guest house. We have 2 options, depending on parcel size, detached or attached.

Righter,

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but we are in the process of re-writing our zoning ordinance to (hopefully) include attached and detached ADU's. I need examples of other ordinances and ideas of what works and what doesn't. Also, as the B.O. I will need to decide when "guest" quarters crosses over into a 2 family dwelling. Any suggestions or links to view other ordinances are greatly appreciated.

Joe

mn joe said:
Righter, I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but we are in the process of re-writing our zoning ordinance to (hopefully) include attached and detached ADU's. I need examples of other ordinances and ideas of what works and what doesn't. Also, as the B.O. I will need to decide when "guest" quarters crosses over into a 2 family dwelling. Any suggestions or links to view other ordinances are greatly appreciated.

Joe
No problem Joe. We have an ADU Lottery, a limited number of "guest house permits" available each year, based on the number of SFR permits issued the year before. They are only allowed if you have 5+ acres.

Detached have to be within 100 ft of the primary dwelling, and a number of other requirements.

If you have less than 5 acres, you can not have one. The main criteria we have is the presence of a kitchen. We have a lot of people build detached "bunkhouses" that don't have a kitchen, thus not considered a dwelling, but an accessory structure. We have, by policy, created a "creation of a kitchen" which defines what is allowed and what isn't.

If they have an attached ADU, allowed by land use, then we treat it as a 2 family dwelling.

If you want to send me a private message, I can give you some of our jurisdiction info, but our ordinace is, IMHO, not well written.

But I am happy to discuss with you.

a possible definition: no longer a guest house when the occupants are no longer transient

daniel webster was a statesmen, noah webster wrote the dictionary

Moscow said:
No, because everybody has to have access to there heating unit at all times. Same goes for the main water shut off and hot water tank.this is the way we do here.

Good Luck

Justin
If the Units are avalible from the exterior, such as an attic access; and not "in" the other unit, there is nothing that I know of to prevent it.

mark handler said:
If the Units are avalible from the exterior, such as an attic access; and not "in" the other unit, there is nothing that I know of to prevent it.
And I would say you are right, becasue they would have access to them