• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Furnace vent

Fortner

Bronze Member
House was built in 1959. I got the serial # off the furnace door. It was maufactured in 1991. The carbon monoxide has been heating this attic for at least 18 years. It gets worse. It's a ranch style house on a crawl space, the furnace is in the crawl, the vent pipe leaves the unit, travels straight up through the subfloor, no 1" clearance, through A CLOSET WITH NO CHASE BUILT, and ends up here where you see it. Clothing in the closet has been in contact with vent pipe for who knows how long. I had pics of where some of the plastic on clothes from the dry cleaners had MELTED. No one uses this bedroom where the closet is located and the door stays shut most of the time. I do not know how this house has not burned down. We are currently conducting a large rehab project on this house. One of the items on my list was a total rewire with a brand new 200A service. The owner is on a fixed income and would rather be total electric. Sure, we could have fixed these vent problems, but I'm glad we did what we did. Also, since it was long ago, I don't know if it was never permitted, or the inspector did a drive by and passed it. Either way, this was definately negligence on the contractor's part. They went to the trouble to put the roof jack on, but did not connect the vent pipe :? .

View attachment 1292

View attachment 1292

/monthly_2010_05/572953da1b7bf_furnaceventpipe.jpg.3623b0911c20a913425566c0917b9710.jpg

Re: Furnace vent

Nice, I'm also surprised that the place never went up in smoke.....sheesh.

Re: Furnace vent

Seen this same thing on a fire investigation one time. Fireplace with gas logs in it for years. New owner moved in did not have gas turned on yet, took out gas logs, started wood fire in fireplace, almost cost him his life. Spent a lot of time talking to fireplace supplier and even had to go to houses around this one to verfiy this fireplace as installed was able to handle wood burning. Vent pipe was improperly installed and exited the roof at an angle and had become detached somehow.