• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Future Violation?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
As it sits, it’s technically not a violation but the minute they install the drywall and cut the hole for the LED puck, it will be. What is it?
8BF0B4FA-C552-44DA-8417-B2D9A8F427E7.jpeg

@ = @

Copper piping in contact with the ceiling grid.....Also,
possible non-access to the electronic device.

@ = @

Suspended drywall....Not acoustic....I would still call the 300.11 and/or ask for verification of the ceiling to hold "X" extra pounds.....How much more is too much more kinda thing...

Electrical section question only so copper pipe to grid not applicable.
Possible non-access to the device is the correct answer! yay
Wait a minute. In another thread you discussed how they could reach up through the fixture hole and replace the electronics. Why doesn’t that apply here?

Because you must be able to change the driver which is fixed in place. It is considered a junction box.
I’m dense. Why can’t you pull the fixture, reach up through the hole, open the face of that box (looks like it is hinged), and change the driver?

I’m dense. Why can’t you pull the fixture, reach up through the hole, open the face of that box (looks like it is hinged), and change the driver?
You said this in the thread “cite the code please”.

They are often a 3" hole and accessible because there must be enough slack to pull the box out of the hole. This is one of the things I check at rough and then final when I have them show me they can pull some of the LED drivers out after they remove the pucks.

You said this in the thread “cite the code please”.

They are often a 3" hole and accessible because there must be enough slack to pull the box out of the hole. This is one of the things I check at rough and then final when I have them show me they can pull some of the LED drivers out after they remove the pucks.
Aren't we talking about puck lights here? I thought those were all surface mounted, other than the small hole for the conductor. If so - no way to access the j-box.