• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Galley Kitchen

Sol

I have a galley kitchen being proposed in a single family house. What is the minimum dimension between counter tops? I can't seem to find anything in the IRC.

There is nothing in the code but Like a hallway a minimum of 3 feet between the counters should be provided.

fatboy said:
I can't imagine a design less than 36"......
Seen design less than 36", not a good design.

Kitchen_Galley_Style_8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sol said:
I have a galley kitchen being proposed in a single family house. What is the minimum dimension between counter tops? I can't seem to find anything in the IRC.
If there are appliances need to install per the manufacturer's installation instructions;

M1901.2 Cooking appliances.

Cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled for household use and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. The installation shall not interfere with combustion air or access for operation and servicing. Electric cooking appliances shall comply with UL 1026 or UL 858. Solid-fuel-fired fireplace stoves shall comply with UL 737.

G2447.1 (623.1) Cooking appliances.

Cooking appliances that are designed for permanent installation, including ranges, ovens, stoves, broilers, grills, fryers, griddles, hot plates and barbecues, shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.1 or ANSI Z21.58 and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

And does your locality enforce the Property Maintenance Code?

404.2 Minimum room widths.

A habitable room, other than a kitchen, shall be a minimum of 7 feet (2134 mm) in any plan dimension. Kitchens shall have a minimum clear passageway of 3 feet (914 mm) between counterfronts and appliances or counterfronts and walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
In CA

There is a section for "efficiency dwelling units" with a dimension of 30" in front of appliances....

But nothing for regular "dwelling units"

Not enough info in Sol's post to tell where the kitchen in question is....

( ) = ( )

In conjunction with **Builder Bob's** comment about common sense,

considering sales & re-sales of houses, ...more room in the Kitchen

will enhance the potential for a sale.......The Kitchen is a critical

area in most houses, where it is used for socializing, ...the

gathering of persons for eating, and the actual activity of cooking

& prepping of food.

Most people want more room in the Kitchen !

( ) = ( )